The announcement of the Transcarpathian Hungarian Pedagogical Association on the ending of the school year
According to the information on the website of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, the quarantine period was extended until April 24, 2020.
Due to the quarantine the academic year 2019/2020 will end at the end of June. After the quarantine, additional training will be conducted to handle the missing educational material. According to the Minister of Education and Science, during May-June, teachers have to evaluate how students have learned the material. This is also due to the fact that the effectiveness of distance learning depends largely on the access of participants to the Internet, which is not available to everyone.
Depending on the situation, two options are planned:
· If quarantine ends in April, teaching will go on until the first week of June.
· Graduates will be studying by the end of June, working on missed lessons, preparing for the final exams.
· External independent evaluation begins in the last week of June and lasts until mid-July. The results will be released in late July.
· The college admission campaign will begin in early August.
· If quarantine lasts until early August, all classes, except for 11-graders, will be completed by the end of May.
· Missed material will be processed during the first month of the 2020/2021 academic year, and the next academic year will end at the end of June 2021.
· External independent assessment for 11th grade students will begin in mid-August and continue through mid-September.
· The admission campaign will run until mid-October. First-year students will begin their studies in early November. For other students, the academic year will begin on September 1, 2020.
In both cases:
· Higher education institutions will complete the academic year according to the plan.
· Higher education institutions will hold examinations remotely. If the exams in practical subjects cannot be taken in the distance form, they should be postponed to the next academic year.
· Final examinations and diploma paper defenses should be administered remotely. This does not apply for the doctoral degrees in science and arts.
· Due to the epidemiological situation, the compulsory exams for 4th and 9th grade graduates have been canceled.
Should the Ministry of Education and Science make any further changes, we will try to inform the students, colleagues and parents as soon as possible.
In addition, the Transcarpathian Hungarian Pedagogical Association recommends that while organizing distance learning educational institutions use platforms, which make it possible to document educational activities, the publication of educational materials and their acquisition. Articles on the THPA’s website can be helpful.
Berehove, April 6, 2020
Management of the THPA